Wilson Family

Wilson Family
November 2013

Monday, January 12, 2009

In the market?

I think we are in the market for a new van. We have been driving a '93 toyota previa for a little over 5 years- - it has served us extremely well! For how old and how high the miles, it hasn't had a lot of problems- mostly periferal stuff like the sliding door, the automatic locks, brakes, tires, etc. Never any engine problems. It has taken us half way accross the country and back several times and more . . . and who can complain about no car payment since 2004? We bought it for a great price from a family in my home ward in Spokane (Renee- you know who!) and have absolutely loved it ever since. We love it so much, we are trying to squeeze as much life out of it as we can (especially since we can't afford a $20,000 new van). Now it has over 200,000 miles on it and is a bit rattly! In the last 6 months we have had more times than I can count where it wouldn't start. Sometimes a jump start helped, sometimes not. We have replaced the starter and battery - - and finally a place here in Yakima put some kind of relay boost on and it has worked great ever since. . . .until now. Apparently, the part met an early demise due to it getting really wet (I am guessing Spokane at New Years . . . ). They replaced the part which isn't that expensive - - but how much time to we have? The last part only lasted 4 months! I am thinking we could actually sell or trade in the van while it still runs . . . . or should we try to squeeze some more life out of the poor thing? I think we could afford six or seven thousand dollars on a van- the payments wouldn't be too bad - - so if anyone in Washington hears of one being sold, let me know. Part of me wants to still make due, and the other part would love to have something newer- with a sliding door on BOTH sides of the van that WORK without me having to use my hip to bump it closed, or a back hatch staying up and not braining me when it is wet or cold, a van that doesn't rattle so loud that pedestrians stare at us at a stop light (especially when the air conditioner is on) or the guy at the bank says "is that YOUR car making that noise?" . . .

Any other advice? We are terrible at making big purchases- we typically would rather make due without, especially with our tight income this year. In 11 years, we have owned only three vehicles (a Ford Tempo that was totalled a few months after we were married, a Ford Escort wagon, and this van) and two "beater" cars we purchased for less than $500 each for Jon to drive to work or school in recent years(one in Iowa- which stayed in Iowa, and one in Sunnyside which Jon is still driving). So- I am SURE that everyone else out there is more experienced when it comes to purchasing a new vehicle. Any advice? I think we just keep pumping money into our van to avoid the hassle of looking for a new van. Anyway we will see what happens!

4 comments:

Fosburg Four said...

I loved that van! It was a good one to drive too.
So it's finally wearing out it's welcome. You've had it a very long time and I'm impressed.
Vince and I bought our 99 Town and Country van for $6000. It only had one owner before us. I LOVE IT!
Just look around for a good deal. Good luck finding another previa. They don't make them anymore and are very hard to find.

Renee' P said...

By the way, this is Renee' that posted that on Mary's computer. LOL!

Danae said...

We spent a lot of time looking online before hand, trying to find a good van and a good deal. Our van was from Hertz Car rentals, so it was still pretty new (only 33,000 miles) but a lot cheaper than new! Good luck with your search!

Brooke said...

Your van needs to go in some sort of hall of fame. It has served your family well! Um, I won't even tell you how many cars we (TROY) have had since we've been married, it's embarassing.
I'm sure you can find a decent van out there in your range! If Troy was there he'd love to hunt for you :)
How's the excercising going?