Wilson Family

Wilson Family
November 2013

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Thanksgiving with the Coons

I am loving having my sister living nearby! She came up for a visit the beginning of November while her husband Chris was on an away rotation for Medical school, and then Chris stayed with us later in November for a few weeks while he had a rotation here in Michigan. Thanksgiving just happened to be right in the middle of that rotation, so Laura and the kids came for a long Thanksgiving weekend. Lots of fun . . . though I think I lost my camera somewhere the beginning of November- I think at the Jump place at the mall that we went to. Sigh- oh well- at least we have Jon's i-phone and our new video camera which takes still pictures too . . .

ANYWAY- so much fun with the coons for Thanksgiving!! Our feast:






My adorable nephew and neice Ben and Rachel:



The day after Thanksgiving was our big shopping day- and the Coons were so good to babysit while we did some shopping that morning with the crazy crowds. We got some great deals though and got 95% of our shopping done. Don't worry- we didn't do the middle of the night or 5 am door busters- - no matter how good the deals are- THAT isn't worth it!! Crazy story- we saw that Toy's R Us was going to open with their sales Thursday at 10pm- so we thought we would go check it out. When we arrived and saw the line, which stretched all the way around the back of the store, AND the attached stores of Michaels and Petsmart, AND came back around to the front, we turned right around and went home. Are people really THAT crazy to stand in freezing rain and bitterly cold winds to save on Toys? We went back the next morning at a more reasonable time when the store wasn't so crazy (although still very busy) and we still got most of the things we wanted from there. I still did see a lot of crazed people- and even a grandma with a really tired countenance that asked me where I found a toy train set that was in my cart -- she had been searching the store. I had found it on the wrong shelf by itself and on a whim put it in my cart even though we had gotten plenty for Tyler. I had seen it in the ad and liked it and it was such a good deal . . . Anyway I couldn't tell the lady where I got it, but saw that she REALLY wanted it so instead handed it to her and told her she could take it. She looked at me with so much gratitude and said- "THANK YOU!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!" Totally made my day. I think I found that train just so I could give her a bit of cheer on such a crazy shopping day. Phew- what a day, though- and not without its hiccups - - but everything all worked out.

The weekend also involved good food, playing board games and fun outings such as trips to the Library and the Detroit Science Center. It was my first time to the science center here and I loved it! I'm not terribly picky when it comes to science centers- I loved Des Moines' which is fairly small- and this one was pretty fun for all our kids. We bought a year pass which also gets us into other science centers across the nation- so we will be using it also at COSI (the one in Columbus, OH) when we visit the Coons there. Bonus- they were doing a Christmas sale so it was on $60 for the year instead of $70! It costs about that much just to go one time for a family our size- so totally worth it. We will go often this year, I think. I loved how a huge part of it is devoted to the Physical Sciences of Engineering and car manufacturing- which is what Detriot is all about. EVERYTHING here seems to revolve around car manufacturing. There was more too- but the theme of motor vehicles for the Motor City was great.









No comments: