There are few things in my life that I can call MY OWN. Book club is one of those few things- a night away from every day life where I can enjoy intellectual conversation with other women. I look forward to this night every month! Even if it is a book I really don't like, I still enjoy talking and analyzing the book. Mostly, though - it has helped me expand out of my usual books and I find I can enjoy a wide range of books. I do love to read- and especially listen to audio books (so I can get things done at the same time). No matter where I have lived I have been so grateful for book clubs and the friends I get to visit with!
Our current book club book:
The Help by
Kathryn Stockett
My rating:
5 of 5 stars
WOW- a must read!! I listened to this on Audio which added a whole extra element to the book. It gave me so much to think about when it comes to the women's side of the civil rights movement and what was happening in Mississippi in the early 60's. Despite it's serious theme and undertone- the story was extremely enjoyable. Just enough mystery, drama, and humor brought the story and setting to life. I can see why this is a best-seller. I am interested to hear what everyone else's views are on this book, black or white.
View all my reviews
3 comments:
I have the book on hold waiting to read it though I didn't realize it was the book club book.
I miss going to book club and hopefully will again but not sure if that'll happen while I still have a newborn.
I just read this book and LOVED it. Partly because the movie was coming out, and I wanted to see it. It was GREAT- loved it. I miss book club though....
btw, the movie is really good too.
Our book club here had just read that book the month before we moved here, so I just missed out! It's next on my reading list. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie after I read it. I too LOVE book club, although I do miss our Sunnyside group! Judging by Danaes comment, looks like they don't have one amymore?! Miss you!
Post a Comment