11 months ago
Monday, November 24, 2008
Grandpa Monson
On a more solemn note, my Grandpa Monson (my Dad's dad) passed away on Thursday night. For the last several weeks, we knew it was going to be soon, so I had a chance to emotionally prepare myself for it. Even though he hasn't really known who I am for a while, and was 92, it still has hit me harder than I thought it would. I am sad at the loss, but also happy because he has moved on. I feel the most sad for my Grandma, who is a widow now, and for my Dad. I know this is hard for them. No matter how old a loved one is, it is still hard to say goodbye. I remember well the last time I saw him- it was for his 90th birthday in 2006- and ALL of the family was there except my brother who was on a mission. We were living in Iowa and at first I thought I wouldn't be able to go to the reunion in California- but I felt prompted to go. I knew at that time, it was going to be the last time I ever saw him. I have memories of sitting on his lap as a small child, and him always having peanuts in his pockets. I remember visiting later, after Jon and I were married, and he told all kinds of stories from when he was in Medical School and dong his training. He led an amazing life as a physician (he was an ENT), but mostly I remember him as my grandpa. I will miss you Grandpa- but I know I will see you again. I love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm so sorry for your loss Becky.
I lost my grandpa on the third day after I arrived in the U.S. and I was the closest to him out of all his many grandchildren. I cried and cried after seeing the E-mail in front of the YVCC dorm computer. There is no way we can be prepared for our loved one's loss. I just read Elder Bedner's talk in which he suggested at such times, we do not ask in prayer for blessings, but only thank Heavenly Father. I was dumbfounded for a while, but I tried it and I found what he meant. It was harder to come up with words, but by counting blessings, I felt comforted and happier. I hope you feel loved especially at such a time :)
I'm sorry to hear that. It is always a hard time to go through the grieving process. We are thinking of you and your family at this time.
Oh Becky, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss. And you're right, it is always hard to say good-bye no matter how old the person is. I'm sure you will find comfort in Gopsel truths as you grieve- and having warm memories of your grandpa helps a lot too.
Post a Comment