If you are like me, a child of the 80's, I grew up with GI Joe and Transfomer cartoons - - though truthfully I was more into My Little Pony and Rainbow Brite and all the boys were into GI Joe and Transformers. Jon- being one of those 80's little boys was practically drooling as the trailers would come on for these movies. I think it is really fun that big blockbuster type movies have been made from some of those 80's cartoons- I am guessing targeting the 30 somethings who grew up with it. (So, where is the My Little Pony or Strawberry Shortcake live action movie??? Ha Ha). Anyway, as a little side note, I wish they marketed these high action movies towards the adults and teens and not towards kids. Way too violent for any little boy - - but of course many want to see it because of the toys. OK- with that side note out of the way, we have gone to see both of these movies in the last little while and here is my review . . .

Transformers 2: TERRIBLE. I have to say that I DID like the sci-fi plot line and some of the romance and drama - - but so much of the movie was devoted to extreme violence and VERY crude humor, I walked out of the theater disgusted. I liked the first Transformers movie (though there was a bit of crude humor, but brief and fast-forward-able, and a little too much skin showing for my taste). Overall the second movie was not something I would let my kids go anywhere near, or could even recommend to my adult friends. I was amazed how gory robot fights could look - - I didn't think that was possible since no blood was involved. Well, somehow they did it. There were also several college scenes that were pretty tasteless and even an decepticon disguised as a girl (I thought they could only copy motor vehicles???) trying to seduce Sam. I also didn't like the amount of cussing- by even the good autobots. Anyway, we were in a theater full of teenagers when we saw it, and it amazed me how much everyone else was laughing at the parts that were in my mind tasteless. Well, I guess I really am an old fogie!

GI Joe: I went to this movie purely because Jon wanted to see it- I didn't think it would be my type of movie- - I didn't even really watch the cartoon as a kid. As the movie progressed, I found myself enjoying it, to my suprise. Sure, it was filled with high explosions, cars flying through the air, guns blazing, impossible stunts and technology, tons of faceless bystanders tossed to the side, on and on - - but combined with the plot, which had more to it than I expected, it was very entertaining. It still is a bit violent for kids - - I would say at about the x-men level - - but not too terribly bloody, and with very little crude or sexual humor and swearing. In short- if you want to choose between the movies made from cartoons those 80's boys used to watch - - go for GI Joe!

No comments:
Post a Comment