11 months ago
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Loosing my mind??
So I have been telling everyone that I am feeling GREAT after having Tyler and things are going really well. This week I finally came to the conclusion that maybe I am NOT doing as well as I think I am . . . I think lack of sleep IS affecting me more than I thought it was. I swear sometimes I am loosing my mind! I think that I have been feeling good EMOTIONALLY- I feel lots of energy in that regard, which is so much better than after Lillian was born when I felt a bit depressed. It is amazing how if emotions are OK, everything else seems OK. BUT after several times of completely missing the mark, I realized I am not super-human. I know I am not getting enough rest (mostly because of Tyler, despite my best efforts), but I push through each day becoming more and more tired. Being the mother of four children, especially during this time of year whe I have SO much to do, I don't really get to nap ever. I don't mind sacrificing my own rest for the rest of the family (I adore our new WONDERFUL little boy!)- and for Jon who has to work so hard, but the cumulative lack of sleep I think is finally starting to really get to me! In the last month or so, I have run out of gas for the first time in my LIFE, shown up to a visiting teaching appointment on the wrong day, and forgotten things needed for errands (like driving all the way to the post office to mail a package, and I didn't bring the address . . . Or not having my WIC folder at an appointment, or not having an insurance card at the doctors, OR forgetting the coupon I went specifically to a certain store to use . . . ). I have gotten times of events completely mixed up (on more than one occasion), forgotten names of people I know really well - - and even WORDS for every day things. I can't carry on a conversation without stumbling over my words or repeating myself. My husband laughs when I say things like "can you get me that THING, over by . . . (I never quite finish) . . . I also find myself craving sweets and diet soda. Hmmm- in the past I was a fairly well put together and organized person (at least I think I was!). What is wrong with me?? I guess I really DO need that sleep I am missing. I don't think it just started after Tyler was born, I think it has been going on ever since Jon started his residency- and just got WAY worse after he was born. So- how can I get back that rest I have been missing with the life I currently lead?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions for the sleep deprivation. But it is just a phase of life that will pass. I do, however, TOTALLY understand not being able to remember the names of household objects. "I need the, um... thing... for um, the pan?" "The spatula?" "Yah, that." You are not alone in that! Something about having 4 children really just made my brain all fall out!
I only have two and I completely understand!!! After Jace, I thought I had lost my mind too! I guess it's true what they say that with every child we get dumber & dumber:)
Becky, I am so sorry that you are feeling this way! BUT, you have to remember that it's COMPLETELY normal! And I am the same way - I feel great after the first few weeks, and then "real" life sets in. You just have to remember that there's a time and season for everything, and one day you'll wake up, all of your babies will be grown, and you'll wish that you had those "dumb" moments back! =)
Post a Comment