Wilson Family

Wilson Family
November 2013

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Help!! I need activites for 2 year olds!


I am in desperate need of some advice from you other really good moms . . .

I have a VERY bored 2 year old and I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to keep her happy. Does anyone have some good tips or suggestions on activities for two year olds? I know so many of you are so much better at this than me. Someone gave me a few pre-school age suggestions, and she isn't quite ready for them (like using scissors, etc). She basically follows me around the house either undoing what I just did or whining and wanting to be held- and even when I do hold her she is whining because she is bored. I try to take some time each day to spend one on one time with her, but no matter how much time I spend with her- she isn't satisfied. Even when we are spending time together, I am running out of things to do. Marcus was extremely independent at this age and played really well by himself (as is his personality). Cynthia also wanted attention- but simpler things seemed to entertain her- AND Marcus was around to play with her and entertain her- so I had a little help. Lillian is also not as happy or compliant as Cynthia was. Maybe I am just forgetting what it was like to have a 2 year old. Anyway- any advice would be great. Oh- I also need some advice on grocery shopping- we are having a really difficult time if I need to be in the store more than 15 minutes!

I love her inquisitive little mind- but it can be a bit destructive, OK VERY destructive . . . I need to remember the positive aspects of her- even though she seems like a permanent fixture to my leg, I love that she is a people person and always wants to be around someone (like me!). I can also see how smart she is! And- her little voice and the things she says are so darn cute!

7 comments:

June said...

I just got help from my friend. She recommended me the book called "The Ephraim's Child." You can read the first 5 pages online at Amazon.com. It is informative and funny. It may not change how Lilian is but this book will LIFT you UP! And give you lots of scriptures on parenting :)
It must be hard this month because Lilian just lost both siblings to play with in the morning.
If you pick up the publication, "Playdates," there are many free events you can attend with Lilian. Also YMCA has a year membership for $18/yr. I always had 20 books from the library, so I kept reading with Emma.
When it was difficult, I only went grocery shopping once a week or 10 days. I used food storage heavily and baked bread at home. This was easier than grocery shopping :)
Sorry it became long. I am interested in other friends' advice too. Thanks for asking!

Tiffanie and Jeff Bodine said...

OK, activities WITH you: Kitchen experiments like edible playdough and Gak, set her loose with a can of shaving cream in the tub, tearing paper, stringing fruit loops, buttons, or beads, cut paper into shapes/colors and put her on the floor at your feet sorting into a muffin tin, put on music and dance OR give her scarves and tell her to be a butterfly (you might have to show her at first),you might have to sweep afterwards, but kids love to play in rice with little cups and scoopers... In the store: Pack a snack, take stickers and let her decorate the groceries, give her a "job" to do, bring a headset and let her listen to music, or keep her busy with questions that make her look around her and think... I'll let you know if I come up with anything else. In the meantime, try http://www.twinslist.org/toddler.htm Sorry so long... Good Luck!

Chris said...

We have plenty of duct tape:P

Nathan said...

Lots of Benadryl. Sorry, but Bev lets me comment...her mistake.

Mary Child said...

Gosh Becky, I'm really not a very good mom of two-year-olds! Luckily, my little Livy loves to be outside and will stay in the bacyard for an hour at a time... it's so nice! I also let her take baths in the master bath while I'm scrubbing the sinks, toilet, & floors. She's "with" me, but out of my way! Good luck; this is a BUSY, TOUGH, age!

Shauna said...

I checked out the sight that was suggested http://www.twinslist.org/toddler.htm I really liked some of those ideas.

Robin said...

I have a book called "The Toddler's Busy Book" and it has 365 different activities for toddlers (18mos-3years). I'm not really partial to cleaning up the mess made by a bathtub full of jell-o, but there are many other *cleaner* ideas as well. I'll have to copy out some of the activities we've tried for you!