Wilson Family

Wilson Family
November 2013

Sunday, August 24, 2008

A medical resident . . .


Sigh . . . pictured above is a day in the life of a 1st year medical resident doing his OB rotation- on the off hours!

Jon is doing his OB rotation for his residency program and he just completed the first week. I added up the hours and it was somewhere in the vicinity of 95!! I am just so glad that not every month is like this- just here and there will he have a bad month like this. At least he is doing something interesting like delivering babies. What makes the hours so high is that 3 times a week he worked from 7am to noon the next day (28 ish hours in a row), maybe catching a couple of broken up hours of sleep at the hospital between births. He comes home and CRASHES (see picture above)- and I do everything in my power to keep my children quiet- which is quite impossible - - sorry Jon! Luckily- he can sleep ANYWHERE and through ANYTHING! The weekdays he wasn't doing this, he worked 12 hour days. I just got called to help in the Cub Scouts- and I feel bad that I have to take the kids with me most weeks. Oh well . . .


Today was especially rough- Sundays are hard enough even with both of us. My hat goes off to any single parents, or parents who have inactive or non member spouses - - what you do every week coming to church is AMAZING! We had an especially long church day in addition because of the dedication of our church building. I groaned when I walked in and found out the time had changed without us knowing and that church started at 11:30 instead of 11:00, and went until 3:00. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to be there for the dedication- I just groaned to think of how we were going to survive that long of church. I actually left after the sacrament during sacrament meeting to get some food from home for my vocally "starving" children (boy Cynthia can whine), then returned for the rest of church. I felt kind of bad getting up to leave, but I was NOT in a very good mood and was frustrated with my bickering and complaining children. After eating, listening to primary songs in the car and saying a family prayer in the car- I felt much better about church, and the rest went fairly well. I need to look on all this with a sense of humor, though- Marcus was yelling at me all the way to church the first time because I had chewed him out for punching Cynthia. He angrily yelled "Mom, I wish you were Chocolate so I could eat you!!" OOOOO- I wish I were chocolate too. It was so funny that I felt my tension ease and even though Marcus was still being a problem, I was a little more at ease.


With all this complaining done- I want to say that I am extremely proud of my husband and his ability to handle this kind of work. He is pretty good about not being grumpy from lack of sleep (most of the time), and seems to handle the stress well. He is loving and amazingly still works on home improvement projects (I think this is his outlet). He even will still watch the kids so I can go to the store (though that is really hard, because I would rather be with him than go to the store, because he isn't home often!) And again, I am so grateful for my life- even though sometimes Jon's career choice is difficult- it is a hard path to take- I NEVER regret the choices we have made. Jon is fufilling his dream. Having a husband who is satisfied and happy with his career is a HUGE blessing. So- it is all worth it. I want with all my heart to be supportive and help him do well. I have been expecting his residency to be harder than medical school (when it comes to hours worked)- so I was prepared for this- - - it still doesn't mean it is easy to handle. Last year Jon had to do some away rotations- and that was hard- - so I felt like I would be prepared to do things on my own again. Maybe because all the kids are still off from school, or maybe because I get a "taste" of him, I seem to miss him more when he is working so much. What has helped me survive is some of the new friends I have made here- I think I am going to really like this ward. We went out on a double date with a couple in our ward about our age and had a BLAST!! I also paid for a babysitter (VERY worth it) so I could go to book club on Thursday night and actually have REAL conversations with other women. Ahhhh- for me, talking with other women is like balm to my soul. And extremely energizing! Any of you that know me- I am a huge TALKER- that is where I get my emotional (and sometimes physical) energy. Things like book club are essential to my well being!


With that said- does anyone have some advice for me on several things? First- how to be supportive to a husband who has to work LONG weary hours (during the night especially), second- how to have a good attitude about it, third- how to best handle church and Sundays as a single parent, and anything else pertinent. I know I am not the only one who has ever had to go through this- so would love your comments!

10 comments:

Kim said...

Umm advice, sorry I don't have any. I'm right there with you thinking why do I bring my kids to church by myself when Brandon's at work. I know in the long run it will be worth it, it's just hard. I'm glad you're liking your ward, that makes all the difference to like where your at and finding people you can talk with. That's one thing that has always made the hard times easier for me. Hope the OB rotation goes by fast.

sewdelightful said...

I would say make sure you take time for yourself. That is great you are in a book club. Sometimes it is so nice to have adult conversation! Just hang in there take one day (and one Sunday) at a time! :)

Renee' P said...

I don't dare say anything negative on my end since I just have Dom. Vince has been working 10 hr days this whole summer. It's difficult because we don't see each other very much. Weekends are special. I would recommend you take Date nights as often as you can and also take time for yourself. That is one thing I am learning that I need to do as a stay at home mom now. As far as the Sundays go........um.........GOOD LUCK!!!!

Shauna said...

I love the picture of Jon sleeping. He really can sleep through anything. I'm happy to hear that you're making friends in your new home. I knew it wouldn't take long. You're so friendly and fun to be around. Someone told me the other day that you can shop online at albertsons.com and they will deliver groceries to your house for only $10. Sounds good to me. I actually really like grocery shopping, but I think I'm going to try the online thing sometime. Maybe that would help with the little time you have with Jon.

Natalie said...

I don't really have advice on the subject... I just wanted to say that we need to get together with the kids and TALK! When can I come to Yakima this week? Maybe we can go to that park off of the freeway? Miss you!

Danae said...

My advice as a semi-single parent on Sundays (as Ryan is in the Bishopric), is just plan ahead! I always have the church shoes found the night before (they always get lost somehow), and have the church bag largely ready. I just tell myself that if I can just get thru that sacrament meeting hour, there are 2 blissful hours child-free! Also, snacks are good. I make use of a baggie of crackers for each child- less fighting that way. And when you have had that no-good, awful, very bad day and want to strangle your kids, I am just a phone call away. We've all been there...

Robin said...

Becky, I think you're just amazing, and I think Jon knows that you are amazing too, which is why he can go and do his 95 hour weeks and be happy about it. It won't last forever, and it's making you so much stronger in all your relationships. As for advice, I would say do some little, almost imperceptible nice thing for Jon that he wouldn't necessarily be expecting, or even notice right away, but that would help make his day a little easier. I try to do that for Jeremy when he's been away all weekend on call. As for the good attitude, we're not Stepford wives, and thank goodness! So it's okay to have a bad attitude every once in awhile, you just can't let it drag you down. Finally, sit by someone else who doesn't have a spouse handy and work it like you're a team for the hour. And don't forget to pray!

Mary Child said...

Oh Becky, I don't have any advice, just lots of sympathy. I can't IMAGINE how stressful and exhausting that is for both of you, (in fact, I feel like a big fat baby for complaining about my cake-walk life right about now). If anyone can survive it, it's you! You already have such an amazing attitude and you're such a supportive wife that I know you'll not only do it, but do it well. And when Jon is finally a practicing, paid physician, you'll both feel the deep gratification that comes after YEARS of hard work and sacrifice. Hang in there Becky! We're all rootin' for you guys!

Brooke said...

Becky, I love your post, you crack me up! Seriously though, I have always been amazed at how positive and supportive you are. I think it's one of your many gifts! I know it's not easy, it'll be better in a few days when school starts...."It's the most wonderful time of the year!"
miss you!

June said...

We had fun picking pears with you and Cynthia the other day! I think Cynthia and Emma get along well! It is amazing that you came out and are very willing to learn how to can in the middle of this! I don't think you are negative at all. You are finding humor; you'd rather be a chocolate? That's funny :) You can ask us to watch your children anytime, especially in the sacrament. We could watch your children while you went back home too. Everybody in our ward loves you and knows your situation. Feel free to ask for anything ;)